Simulatore bicicletta

Peter the images are amazing, and look as low poly as needed, thank you! If you want to start putting the models somewhere we can access, we can start checking a couple of things during the weekend, and talk on Monday at Mitte.

OT, but really cool job!! I’d love to try the simulator once it’s in alpha!

1 Mi Piace

Great project! If you need some help I have experience with encoders, microcontroller/computer protocols and other stuff like that (basically with Arduino). My only problem is about wednesday meetings, because I am often busy, but I can participate here at least.

3 Mi Piace

Ciao all;
Some of you had seen the latest form but let me give a quick update:

VR-side: The environment is partially imported in Unreal Engine. Graphics need some optimization work still but it renders alright on our device (GearVR). There is a bike model with basic bone structure and vehicle dynamics. There are triggered non-playable characters like other cars…

Communication side: A php based websocket server is ready and it runs on Francos laptop right now. The client on the laptop sends a trigger to Arduino to read the potentiometer status; Arduino sends back the status via serial port, and laptop client reports to the server. Another client running on the Unreal Engine device (in our case GearVR) receives potentiometer data from the server over wifi and uses this to change the parameters of the bike simulation. In case you have tried the previous version. communication is now low enough latency and stable.

Hardware side: Franco made a mock-up bike with three potentiometers on a breadboard connected to Arduino input, one for the steering direction, one for speed, one for the status of breaks.

1 Mi Piace

With these updates in mind;
@5er can we talk about where to go next in the hardware side? What about the bike simulation scenario?
@shrdlu Thank you! Any input is more than welcome!! @franco.pellegr and I don’t know much about the hardware part indeed!
@Telespalla how do you think we can move ahead with the audio? The time waiting for the completion of the hardware could be a good time to invest in audio!

So let’s do like this: Who will be able to come next Monday (April 3rd ) members meeting to see how to take this project further?

2 Mi Piace

Ping!
Anyone interesting in working on this project (including @5er @Telespalla @shrdlu ) is coming tomorrow to Mittelab?

It’s difficult for me on monday, sorry… we can discuss a little here, if you like. At what time, tomorrow, anyway?

The space usually opens at 20.00

Hi all; ( in particular @5er @Telespalla @shrdlu @franco.pellegr @g5pw )
Sorry that we have been silent on this. We are moving to a new house, which is keeping us pretty busy.

To recap: what is the situation of the hardware?

On software side: we’ll work to finish the graphics, animations, gameplay this week. They are all semi-working right now. We’ll keep the complexity to demo level. We still don’t have a second screen solution but I don’t think we will be able to finish this on time so I’d let go of this feature as we spoke earlier. We will do much of this work on the weekend, as usual, so best time for you to try it out will be Monday.

We still need to bring the hardware and software together. @5er can you bring the hardware to Mitte on Monday so we make the first tests? Let’s be there as early as possible. (@g5pw can we have the space open pre-dinner time if it turns out that @5er can be there early as well? )

Since the only machine we can compile the code is a desktop, we will bring this desktop to Mitte on Monday also. Can anyone give us a ride from about Giardino Pubblico? Otherwise we’ll take a taxi.

@Telespalla what do we have on the sound side? We could still try the 3d sound thingy if it doesnt take too much time to make it work.

@shrdlu @g5pw @hrast any help is more than welcome!

1 Mi Piace

I’m pretty sure we can do a hackathon over the weekend at Mittelab if you want to work there :slight_smile: (apart from Sunday morning, I’m free)

That can be arranged, of course.

I can give you a lift after work (18.15)

I’m afraid it is the wrong weekend for a hackaton: as a pause, we need to open boxes and settle in the new house etc in those days.

But, if @5er is working on the hardware with some of you at Mitte on Sunday, we can bring the headset and the laptop with the compiled code on Sunday afternoon, for a first try of “software meets hardware”.
Then we can add the fixes etc before meeting on Monday evening.
How does this sound?

That would be great, thank you! So we just need to hear @5er on when he can come.

Sounds like a good plan!

Hi,

I found a job and now I’m working all days until 17:00 and so I haven’t so much time but the most difficult parts are behind and I think that for Sunday evening the hardware can be ready.

Here is a photo [:blush:]

3 Mi Piace

Wow!!! This looks like a lot of work! Great job!! :heart_eyes:
& Congratz on the job also!

How are you planning to bring it to Mittelab on Sunday? Perhaps it is more convenient if you could leave it there till the LJmakerfaire? That way, we could also come and test alongside the software throughout the week with the laptop.

On another note, could we get any help from Mittelab media team about how to advertise this during the makerfaire? And in general to make it appealing to the adults as well? (Coz kids are into anything VR anyways) My hope is if we can get enough adults interested in this, we could think of collaborating with gyms or with people who make exercise bikes.

I will bring it with my car or with my utility trailer.

It can be at mittelab a couple of days, than I will have to take it, because I should paint it after all tests.

1 Mi Piace

Over the weekend should be fine, but by Sunday evening it should be gone. We don’t have enough space, unfortunately :frowning:

You can get the attention from the media team by mentioning them, like this: @media

1 Mi Piace

Hello @kucukben, @5er stopped by this evening and we planned where to put the sensors. He said he’ll probably have everything ready by tomorrow, but if not, he’ll do at least the ‘speed’ part with the sensor.

Incidentally, that is the part that will require some modifications to @franco.pellegr’s Arduino code. I think it’s best if you add a project on our Git and upload the code, so we can take a look :slight_smile:

@5er will be here tomorrow at 21.30 with his bike, so we can test it :slight_smile:

Finally: :confetti_ball: :tada: @franco.pellegr happy days_in_year overflow!

2 Mi Piace

@g5pw thanks a lot! we’ll stop by w @franco.pellegr this evening @21:30. We’ll bring the compiled game on the phone + laptop for the tests then, no need to carry the desktop tonite. arduino code is a few lines really but yea lets add it on the git tonite as a ‘culture building’ exercise. :slight_smile:

1 Mi Piace

here is another VRbike example, this time commercial:

@5er, is the bike steer-able now? Can we test the steering action this evening?